lunes, julio 18, 2011

Adding external functions from gvSIG to SEXTANTE, and more.

The folks at the gvSIG Community Edition project are doing an awesome work trying to create a better version of gvSIG, and they are putting a lot of effort in trying to enhance the integration of SEXTANTE. After 3 days of fruitful and really fun work (met with them at AGIT, in Salzburg), we believe that gvSIG CE is going to become the best platform for using SEXTANTE and, thus, support their work and have given some advise about how to better integrate SEXTANTE with their software. Also, I have made a few changes that will greatly improve the experience of using SEXTANTE and will give gvSIG CE users new posibilities. The most important are the two following ones:

1)Introduction of Toolbox Actions. A toolbox action is just a command that you can call from the toolbox, so now you can have not only SEXTANTE algorithms but any other thing that you want. Of course, this actions cannot be used in other elements of SEXTANTE like the modeler, but it is handy to have some functionalities close to your geoalgorithms. Why is this useful for gvSIG CE? Well, we all now that the current distributions of icons and menus is a mess in gvSIG. There is a geoprocessing toolbox with just vector algorithms, then there is a network analysis interface and finally there are some raster functions that you can access from an awkward double-drop-down-list system in the toolbar. Having all of them together would make the interface much more homogeneous and easy to use, so the idea is to create actions to call those elements and then remove their corresponding menus and icons. Everything related to spatial analysis will be found in the SEXTANTE toolbox.

The idea of having just one geoprocessing framework has been around in gvSIG since many years ago, but it is easy to see that using that framework hasn't been really enforced by the gvSIG team. Of course, it would be better to have all those functions as real SEXTANTE algorithms. Although we plan to do so, that means a lot of work, so this solutions is good by now until we have a better one.

2) Changes for a portable version. The first version of gvSIG CE will be a portable one (no need to install anything), bundled with GRASS and SAGA and fully preconfigured. That means that you will have more than 700 algorithms from the very first time you run the software and there will be no need to configure anything about SAGA or GRASS. This wasn't possible before, since configuration files were kept in a user folder, and thus it was not very portable.

Also, Benjamin Ducke, the frontman of the gvSIG CE version, is responsible of developing most of the GRASS interface in SEXTANTE, so we worked together on that and made a few changes. We both agree in that a bundled installation of GRASS or SAGA is prefered to an external one, and we made changes in that direction, in order to have a more robust integration assuming that the user has a preinstalled copy of any of these addtional softwares.

The fist version of gvSIG CE will be out soon (its release will probably be synchronized with the release of SEXTANTE 0.7) and we highly recommend everyone to try it, specially if you work with SEXTANTE. As I said, we see this version as the ultimate SEXTANTE platform, since it has been specifically adapted and solves some important issues.

-

17 comentarios:

valenty dijo...

Hi Victor, sorry my poor english.
As usual congratulations for the uninterrupted progress of the project.
I make you a question: would be correct to infer that Sextant Project from now will not attend bugs on the official versions of gvSIG?

Regards Victor

volaya dijo...

Valenty,

We will keep on solving bugs for all the supported platforms (most of all, because bugs are more likely to appear in the SEXTANTE core classes and algorithms, and not in the bindings, so they affect all platforms).

The main difference is that now some features might not be available for the official gvSIG. We are making changes in the gvSIG CE code that will probably not be included in the official version of gvSIG. Since we have more control over the gvSIG CE code, we can make those changes quickly and create a GIS that is better suited to the needs of SEXTANTE. As I mentioned in the post, we strive to create a better gvSIG for SEXTANTE users, and that is why we support the gvSIG CE project.

We will probably have two different bindings, one for the official gvSIG and one for gvSIG CE. We will put more effort into improving the CE ones, but that doesn't mean that we are going to stop working on the bindings for the official version. Most of the code will be the same, so both versions will benefit from our work.

Regards

valenty dijo...

Thanks Victor for your prompt response,

It has been a true help for me

I hope see you in december!

Best Regards,

Anónimo dijo...

With that experience, you have a better chance in landing a permanent job in a bigger hospital.
There are also those who deal with athletes who need a private physio therapist to ascertain their health condition in a frequent
interval. The treatments and care an RT provides to these patients would be drug and oxygen administration to
the lungs which may also call for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Also visit my webpage depression and diabetes a potentially lethal combination

Anónimo dijo...

They are not just limited to adults patients they also have a tendency to children,
to put it differently they aid those patients in all avenues
of life. The precise assortment of hrs might be distinctive
basically by neighborhood laws and regulations and the studying
institution. Also, be sure to have both the training
and experience, which are needed before you even think of applying.
Feel free to surf my homepage depressed and pregnant

Anónimo dijo...

Hey there! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!

Feel free to visit my page ... tagpat.com
Also see my site > musiclibre.org

Anónimo dijo...

First of all I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a
quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I've had trouble clearing my
thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first
10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
Any suggestions or hints? Many thanks!

Feel free to visit my web site :: seo consulting

Anónimo dijo...

Thank you for any other informative site. The place else could
I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal approach?
I've a challenge that I am just now working on, and I've been at
the glance out for such info.

Also visit my web-site gourmet coffee beans

Anónimo dijo...

I always used to read article in news papers but now as I
am a user of web so from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to
web.

My site: http://www.besttextbasedgames.com/2013/01/purchasing-budget-friendly-quality-baby-girl-clothing

Anónimo dijo...

It's very easy to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this site.

My homepage vintage clothing stores in nashville

Anónimo dijo...

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and
come with almost all vital infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this
.

Also visit my web site: http://goang.alfahosting.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Benutzer:JessGolde

Anónimo dijo...

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted at this site is genuinely nice.


Also visit my weblog - http://Www.cosavista.net/

Anónimo dijo...

Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts
and I am waiting for your further post thank you once again.


Also visit my blog post; wiki.vcp-rps.de

Anónimo dijo...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don't
know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

my website; http://wiki.nealenssle.com/index.php?title=User:DiegoDoug

Anónimo dijo...

In fact when someone doesn't be aware of then its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it occurs.

Feel free to visit my webpage similar site

Anónimo dijo...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was once a enjoyment
account it. Glance complicated to more delivered agreeable from you!

However, how can we communicate?

my webpage :: http://re-visionfarm.org/kids-clothing-shopping-for-kids-clothing-is-made-easier-online/

Anónimo dijo...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist
with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good
success. If you know of any please share. Cheers!


Take a look at my blog Recommended Internet site